Post-Graduate Work Permit
What you need to know to apply.
Who can apply for the PGV?
- If you have completed a diploma program at MTI that was at least 8 months in length or more, you can apply.
- Not all private schools in BC are eligible for the post graduate working visa program and you should research with Immigration Canada before choosing a school. The website for verification is: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad.asp
When should I apply?
- You must apply within 90 days of being given notification of successful completion of your studies. This is not the same as the last day you attended class or the last assessment you wrote. It can take up to 2 weeks for your final grades to be entered.
- You cannot apply before the end of your program.
- The government has set the visa up so that you will receive 8 months if you studied an 8 month program, an equivalent of time spent in school for programs from 8 months to 2 years, and up to 3 years for a 2 year program. These are guidelines only and no school can guarantee the length of visa the government issues you.
- You must have a valid study permit when you apply. If your study permit has expired, you may still apply but you will need to pay an additional $200 to have it reinstated.
How long does it take?
- Processing times vary based on a number of factors. The best thing to do is check online to see what the wait times are like when you are actually applying or have applied.
Visit the website at: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#temp_res
What are the criteria for applying?
- You must have started school or graduated between January 31st, 2011 and August 31, 2012.
- You must have been a full time student.
- You must have graduated from a program whose duration was at least 8 months in length.
How do I apply for a post- graduation working visa?
- Paper-based applications:
- The forms and application can be found at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/work-students.asp
- You will find the application which is required to change the conditions and length of stay in Canada, instructions on how to use the forms, and a checklist to include in your application. Please always remember to have someone verify or check over your application as a "second set of eye". We would be happy to assist with it. Come and see your advisor.
- You will need the following;
- "Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada" [IMM 1249]
- "Document Checklist" [IMM 5583].
- Electronic applications:
What documents will the government require me to produce?
- Photocopies of your passport pages that indicate your present visa and your personal information. You will not be entitled to a visa past the expiration date of your passport.
- Proof of successful completion of your program of studies. You can use your official transcript or a letter from the school. Please do not use both.
- Fee Receipt. The fee for a post-graduation work permit is $150 CAD. Payment can be made at a financial institution using the original receipt form (IMM5401) available online through CIC's website. You can also pa y online using a credit card via the e-Payment tool (for paper-based applications): http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/fees/index.asp
- If paying at the bank, attach the pink copy of your receipt to the application package and retain the other copy.